2.08.2009

sometimes, at work.

i get so satisfied when people you don't expect to get you, get you. i shared one of these moments recently with a co-worker. one year ago i would have cringed at the thought of investing time in building such work relationships. but now, while i do feel more satisfied with the way i spend my 8-5, i'm also much more attached to the people i nod at while i re-fill my coffee cup in the too-tiny kitchen. 

this co-worker of mine was genuine and real. and she wasn't at all bothered like i assumed she would be when i told her how a small piece of me died when i attended her diversity-something-or-other work function. in fact, she looked me in my slightly-nervous eyes and said she was disappointed too and respected my feedback. 

so while there may be no point in trying to save the sometimes-oblivious and overly-eager-to-understand-elitists that i spend my days drafting one-pagers for, other things, such as human connection, are blossoming. and that might just keep me holding on, glancing at the top of the pyramid, for a bit longer.

3 comments:

christina said...

yay for human connections! gotta love 'em. and who, may i ask, is this mysterious co-worker? d or w?

tea said...

haha. it's w! she's great. and i really hate that i used the word co-worker, but i didn't know how to sum up those work-ppl-relationship thangs.

Vicki Valentine said...

Hey sorry to be a total pain but I started a new blog recently because there was some problems with my old one which means I have lost all my followers :(
Want to give my page a look in?
Thanks!
x